You might be surprised to learn that used ambulances tend to cost significantly less than you may expect. Although most brand-new ambulances cost between $160,000 and $230,000, the hard work of emergency response causes them to depreciate quickly. In fact, a used ambulance with as few as 20,000 miles on it could sell for as much as $70,000 less than a new ambulance.
Today’s used ambulances tend to be easier to own. While there was a point in time when most ambulances were powered by diesel engines only, many EMS organizations have changed over to using gas-powered engines. This means you can find plenty of used Ford, Chevrolet, International, and Ram ambulances that run off gas if that’s your preference.
How Do People Give Used Ambulances a Second Life?
Whether you are looking for an affordable ambulance for your EMS agency or have alternative plans in mind, there\’s no shortage of inspiration out there when it comes to used and refurbished ambulances. Here are some of the ways people are using them:
- EMS organizations with smaller budgets purchase them to serve their communities.
- EMS organizations that need multiple ambulances can get a great deal on used ambulances to meet the local demand.
- Some people convert them into campers, RVs, work trucks, or even party buses.
What to Look for in a Used Ambulance
Do you have a specific ambulance type or make in mind? You can narrow down your search by deciding in advance what features are important to you. Here are some considerations to make when shopping for the right used ambulance to meet your needs:
- Decide whether you want a gasoline or diesel ambulance.
- Choose from 4WD and 2WD.
- Do you need a pass-through door to move between the box and the cab, or is a pass-through window sufficient?
- Ask about maintenance records and vehicle performance before making an offer. The better maintained the ambulance was, the longer it will work well for you.
- Which chassis model do you prefer? Chevrolet, Ford, and Sprinter are most common.
- Do you have a preference about the ambulance’s internal layout and storage configurations? These can vary greatly from model to model.
Turn to Trinity Apparatus to Find a Used Ambulance
At Trinity Apparatus, you\’ll find top-quality used ambulances to fit any budget. Let our friendly team of experts connect you with a used ambulance that is a great deal and will give you a lot of miles for your investment. We understand you need to have an ambulance that will keep you safe on the road. Count on us for reliable ambulances of all makes and models. We make shopping for used and new emergency vehicles easy.
Are used ambulances a good buy? They are when you shop at Trinity Apparatus. Contact us today to get started.