Before you purchase the next ambulance for your EMS crew, you may realize you need to do a little research about the different types of ambulances available. You’ll find there are three primary ambulances: Type 1, Type 2, and Type 3. Simple enough, right? But which features does each ambulance have? Keep reading to get a brief primer on the difference between a Type 1, 2 and 3 ambulance so you can make your choice with confidence.
Type 1 Ambulance
The Type 1 ambulance has the following features:
- Mounted on the chassis of a truck or a truck-like chassis
- Driver cab resembles the cab of a small truck
- Square patient compartment
- Smaller passthrough that looks like a window connecting the driver\’s cab and patient compartment
Type 1 ambulances are suitable for Dodge, Chevrolet, or F-Series Fords and are typically the heaviest duty and largest ambulance options available.
Type 2 Ambulance
The Type 2 ambulance has the following features:
- Van-type chassis—the primary difference between a Type 2 and a standard van is the raised roof, providing more headroom
- Door-like passthrough between the driver area and patient area
- Compact shape
- Economical price and lower maintenance costs than other types
Type 2 ambulances are suitable for the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, or Chevrolet vans. This is a common ambulance type for hospitals and other health organizations.
Type 3 Ambulance
The Type 3 ambulance has the following features:
- Mounted on a cutaway van chassis
- Square patient compartment
- Combines aspects of a Type 1 ambulance with economic benefits of the Type 2
- The cab is an integral component of the ambulance
- Passthrough varies—typically looks more like a door than a window
- Easy transfer of items between the driver compartment and patient area
The Type 3 ambulance is suitable for Ford fans, Chevrolet cutaway vans, and the Mercedes Sprinter. Some EMS crews believe the Type 3 ambulance is ideal because you get the best features of Type 1 and Type 2 in one package.
Which Ambulance Type Is Right for Your EMS Crew?
Now that you know the differences between ambulance types, you may be ready to move forward with your purchase. If so, turn to the expert team at Trinity Apparatus to explore your best options. We have the most extensive in-stock ambulance inventory in the United States. Whether you are looking for a new ambulance or a used one, we can help you find the right model to meet your needs and budget.
The helpful Trinity Apparatus staff goes above and beyond to exceed your expectations. We take the time to understand your goals, so we can connect you with your ideal ambulance. If you have more questions about the difference between type 1, 2, and 3 ambulances, we are happy to provide the answers. We also offer convenient financing when you are ready to buy.
Count on Trinity Apparatus to make purchasing your next ambulance hassle-free. Contact us online now or call 936.494.2552 to get started.